Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Timely Healing


On a terribly warm Tuesday afternoon in July, I sat in the first few rows from the back, attending my first Church service. As I glanced around admiring the interior my eyes fell upon the bodies who were slowly filling the rows with saddened faces, some already a little teary eyed and some simply with sullen expressions, but each reliving the memory of eight months ago. The sunshine singers ended their last performance and the tape of the commencement was put in and walked in our president, the executive committee, the Chintemaneni family and then finally the Archbishop and Father Kevin of St. Francis. We were all brought together that afternoon to celebrate and commemorate the works of Dr. Krishna Neni.

I remember driving back from Madison, having spent another fun weekend with my nearest and dearest, and was on the phone with my dad when he broke one of the most unfortunate accident stories to me. A man, who had just bought a new Mercedes Benz was leaving the showroom and driving back to his home, when a truck, traveling in the opposite lane, lost one of its spare tires, unknown to the truck driver himself. The tire spun across the busy roads of highway 894 and smashed right into the Mercedes Benz and killed Dr. Krishna Neni then and there. Not only was I shaken up to bits but wanted to erase this horrible memory for everytime I have been on the highway after that.

Much to my dismay, this memory was livened again when I started work at St. Francis and found out that Dr. Krishna Neni was our former Chief of Staff and the founder of our Intensive Care Unit. And eight months later, we were dedicating our ICU to his name and the legacy he left behind. I choose to say legacy not because I had met him or observed any of his work but because of the heroic stories that where jumping out at me as looked at his nurses crying, former patients sitting with their eyes closed praying to God, fellow physicians with their heads down in remembrance and as I listened to his wife so graciously talking about their journey together. They say that your closest are a reflection of you, and that held true that afternoon as I understood the magic of Dr. Neni sitting in that church.

Interestingly enough, as I lay in these deep thoughts for the rest of the day, when I went for the private dinner with the Chintemaneni family later that evening, I experienced a different rush of emotions. I sat there with observing the family, his children, his wife, his friends and his coworkers and everyone else merrily enjoying their cocktails and I felt a little aggravated trying very hard to understand why no one was sad, or a little less happy if you will. They were all enjoying their conversations, talking about the brewer's game score from last night, discussing meetings of the next day, relaying stories of their college experiences but no one was grieving. And then it hit me.. they have all been healed with the power of time. Life has a come a full circle for each of them. Dr. Krishna had left such a strong mark in each of their lives that his laughter was what was coming from within them. They all knew that if he was present, he would hated to see them not talking about their work and life. I sat back and enjoyed the view. Time had so beautifully healed the hearts of this family which may never be complete ever again but will always stay united only because they each shared their lives with Dr. Krishna Neni.

No comments: